American Express customers who participate in its Membership Rewardsprogram can now transfer those points to the frequent flyer program of the second-largest airline in South America: Avianca Airlines.
Avianca LifeMiles now partners with American Express, with one-to-one point transfers that open up more ways for AmExMembership Rewards members to spend, transfer and maximize their points.
Based in Bogota, Colombia, Avianca Airlines also has hubs in Lima, Peru and San Salvador, El Salvador. Major U.S. cities served include Miami, New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Dallas. International cities served include London, Barcelona, Spain and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
A world of options
With Avianca’s membership in the Star Alliance group of partnering airlines, a world of destinations can be accessed with LifeMiles. Members can log into their account and use Avianca miles to book hundreds of routes on Star Alliance partners including Air Canada, Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines and United Airlines.
An AmEx Membership Rewards member can transfer points to one of the Star Alliance airlines’ frequent flyer programs to book a flight. But whether that’s the best way to use those points is another question entirely.
American Express now partners with 18 airlines, including:
Three hotel loyalty programs are also AmEx transfer partners:
» Learn more: Best airline credit cards of 2018
So it takes a bit of searching to decide the best transfer partner to use to book a flight.
Depending on the dates and destination, the best use of American Express points could be transferring them to Delta. Or the number of points required for the same itinerary could be lower for a member who transfers AmEx points to Avianca, then uses them to grab a seat on United.
The AmEx-Avianca transfer partnership gives members one more option for making the most of Membership Rewards points.
Image courtesy of Avianca Airlines.
How to maximize your rewards
You want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
AmEx Membership Rewards: How to earn and use them
The best American Express credit cards of 2018
5 tips to find a cheap flight